Game Design – Week 13 – Changes

“The successful free to play games are selling positive emotions. Not content.” – Nicholas Lovell

“It should be the experience, that is touching. What I strive for is to make the person playing the game the director.” – Shigeru Miyamoto

SUMMARY

This week I have learned about the folders in Construct 3. I also learned about M.D.A and how it works.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from Extra Credits Channel
MDA image from Wikipedia

MDA Notes

• Mechanics I learned that this stage is where all the rules and data are. This is every action that happens in the game.
  • Dynamics This is where certain things interact with player input and where the mechanics work together.
  • Aesthetics This is the visual and audio wow factor. This is the player’s emotional responses to a game.
  • Eight Type of Aesthetics
  • Sensation (Game as sense-pleasure): Player enjoys memorable audio-visual effects.
  • Fantasy (Game as make-believe): Imaginary world.
  • Narrative (Game as drama): A story that drives the player to keep coming back
  • Challenge (Game as obstacle course): Urge to master something. Boosts a game’s replayability.
  • Fellowship (Game as social framework): A community where the player is an active part of it. Almost exclusive for multiplayer games.
  • Discovery (Game as uncharted territory): Urge to explore game world.
  • Expression (Game as self-discovery): Own creativity. For example, creating character resembling player’s own avatar.
  • Submission (Game as pastime): Connection to the game, as a whole, despite of constraints.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Brainstorm Ideas for Each of the Eight Categories

1. Sensation (Game as sense-pleasure): The player enjoys memorable audio-visual effects.
    • Something that satisfies the player’s mind through visual things and great audio.
  2. Fantasy (Game as make-believe): Imaginary world.
    • A world where things can go wild and many things to do.
  3. Narrative (Game as drama): A story that drives the player to keep coming back
    • A compelling story that the players get to connect with the characters in the game.
  4. Challenge (Game as obstacle course): Urge to master something. Boosts a game’s replayability.
    • A game where there is a big goal, but there are fun and challenging obstacles to overcome.
  5. Fellowship (Game as social framework): A community where the player is an active part of it. Almost exclusive for multiplayer games.
    • A game that the players progressively gets better stats or gear against many others through missions. Or they can go coop against a boss or a mission.
  6. Discovery (Game as uncharted territory): Urge to explore the game world.
    • A world where you start off in a place and the player must explore the world to find many things.
  7. Expression (Game as self-discovery): Own creativity. For example, creating a character resembling player’s own avatar.
    • A game where the player gets to design their own characters and maybe even connect with other players.
  8. Submission (Game as pastime): Connection to the game, as a whole, despite of constraints.
    • This is where players get on to an addictive game in their pastime. Like an infinite way to play the game (Like Crossy Road or Subway Surfers).

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY, PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

Worksheet from bananatreelog.com
  • I learned some ways to get rid of our negative thoughts by converting them into positive thoughts. I usually don’t have any negative thoughts. Whenever I do, I sometimes get my mind off of it by playing games. Games help me get rid of any stress and worries. Or I would just do what I have to do like just doing that math homework.

STUDIO (CREATIVITY)

Screenshot from Construct.net
  • Set a timer
  • Spend 30 minutes in this ‘room’
    • Read the Construct Manual Sections
      • Home
      • Getting started
      • Overview
      • Interface
      • Project primitives
      • Tips & guides
      • Behavior reference
      • Plugin reference
      • System reference
      • Scripting
  • I learned that Java and Javascript is a totally different thing. I also learned about the ways we can have the player move in the game.

CONTROL ROOM (PRODUCTION)

Screenshot from Construct.net
  • I learned that Construct 3 has a way for a group to work effectively through folders for the clients while the leader has the master copy.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• I learned about the folders in Construct 3. A problem I solved was when a game wouldn’t load correctly. So I had to uninstall then reinstall.